When is custom code appropriate? When should contrib solutions be investigated, and when are they overkill? Is there an acceptable way to hack Drupal? Tune in to hear my take on these, and other codebase-related questions, such as:
- Given a feature request, how do I choose a path?
- What are common tasks that usually end up requiring custom code?
- What are some contrib modules that allow for customization without code?
- What are some best practices for maintaining custom code?
- What are the general categories of custom code, and how do I approach them?
- How should my thinking vary between Drupal 7 and Drupal 8?
- What do I say to managers when they ask for stuff?
Attendees should know how to write custom Drupal code (either Drupal 7 or Drupal 8) in order to benefit from this session. After this session, attendees will be better able to:
- Choose appropriate implementations for feature requests
- Build maintainable and team-friendly sites
- Communicate accurate and thorough estimates to managers